Before we opened our doors in 2005, we discussed at length how we could make Present Moment a positive instrument for change in our world. We committed to continually refining our ecological practices in order to maintain and restore the health of natural ecosystems, the local community and the well-being of our staff and guests. We sought to step more lightly on the earth, provide healthy food, protect biodiversity, and conserve water and energy.
Now, seven years later, we have decided to seize the opportunity of Earth Day 2012 to reflect, reevaluate and recommit ourselves to our mission. On this sacred day we are revisiting our commitment by outlining the following:
- Keeping it Green: Our current ecological practices
- Earth Day Promise: How we can improve in the coming year
- You Can Help Too: How guests can contribute
In the coming year Present Moment Retreat commits to take the following measures to lighten our footprint on the earth:
- Use 100% Organic Fertilizer (when locally available)
- Use only free range eggs in our restaurant (when locally available)
- Donate 5% of our profits to Green Projects
- Increase our support of local, community based ecological projects
If you're interested in making your trip more "Green", we recommend the following:
- Bring your own reusable water bottle. All of the water on the property is safe for drinking, but when you're going on your eco-tour, going surfing, or heading to town, it would be a lot more ecological if you could carry a reusable bottle instead of a one-time use plastic bottle.
- Use bio-degradable, non-toxic soaps and shampoos. We treat all of the water used at Present Moment, but certain chemicals are hard to remove. Skin Deep is a wonderful website to help you determine the toxicity level of your toiletries.
- Buy Carbon Offsets to mitigate the environmental impact of air travel. Click here to read a good article that explains how Carbon Offsets work and which companies to use.
We are always looking to enhance our environmental practices. If you have any ideas, comments or suggestions, please let us know.
THANK YOU FOR CARING ABOUT OUR MOTHER EARTH